Kunerad Castle

News

  • September 2021
    Public tender for the roof construction
    Water reservoir maintenance
    Terraces and external staircase restoration continues
  • August 2021
    Yield test of the drinking water well
    Uprising celebrations in the castle park
    Open for visitors for one day
  • July 2021
    Park greenery treatment
  • June 2021
    The stone cladding restoration continues
    Project for the small house restoration
  • May 2021
    The stone cladding restoration starts
    Castle's outbuilding roof repairs
  • April 2021
    Resolved the ownership to the well and reservoir
    Preparation of the yield test for the water well
    Project for stairs and elevator building adjustments
  • March 2021
    Work on the final reconstruction project
    The castle’s water system condition check
  • February 2021
    Monuments office assessment of the park survey results
    Implementation project for roof renovation
  • January 2021
    Assessing of the various heating system options
     
  • December 2020
    Castle’s water supply/processing archive research
    Pro Monumenta inspection report
  • November 2020
    Castle ready for the winter
  • October 2020
    Temporary roof completed
     
  • September 2020
    All 3 floors’ ceilings completed
    The turret rebuild completed
    Temporary roof project approved
  • August 2020
    SNP celebrations
    For one day we opened to public
  • July 2020
    Stabilization of the falling terrace
    Turret and more ceilings
    Pro Monumenta inspection
    Temporary roofing project
    Repairs on the SNP Memorial
  • June 2020
    The electricity is connected
    Preparation of the 2nd floor ceilings
    Work on the final reconstruction project
    Inspection day with Monuments office
  • May 2020
    Preparation work for the power supply
    Ground floor ceilings complete
    Launch of the website and social media
    Plans for the remaining rescue works
  • April 2020
    Works on the ground floor ceiling
    Inspection day
    Stone cladding needs immediate attention
  • March 2020
    Restrictions due to coronavirus
    Ground floor ceiling plans
    Power company proposed a way to connect
    Cleaning completed - extracted 1200 tons of rubble
  • February 2020
    The castle can be entered safely
    First sketches of the final restoration project
    Inspection day
    The restoration of SNP Memorial discussed with OZ AKURAD
    Media interest continues
  • January 2020
    310 tons of rubble have already been removed
    Removal of dangerous ceilings
    Problems with electricity connection
  • December 2019
    Media interest continues
    Theft of the castle stairs
    Meeting with the mayor and OZ AKURAD
  • November 2019
    Discussion of the first steps with the Monument office
    Structural assessment - the castle remains without a roof
    Cooperation with the construction company RBRing begins
    Preparation of the castle surroundings
    Statue of St. Štefan exhibited at the Monument office
  • October 2019
    Contact with Count of Ballestrem
    First meeting with the Monument office
    Agreement with University of Žilina on the digitalization
    Balustrades and land cleaning
    Geodetic measurements
  • September 2019
    Handover of the castle and documentation
    The first media and family reactions
    Assessment of the castle’s condition by specialists
    Studying all available information about the castle
  • August 2019
    Simple website launch

History

  • Counts of Ballestrem 1914-1944

    The castle was built during the years 1914 – 1916 by the Count Valentin of Ballestrem (1860-1920). Inspired by the architecture of French Loire Valley castles, he built a comfortable and modern family residence with its own hydroelectric power plant and a chapel dedicated to St. Theresa of Lisieux. It was used as a recreational hunting residence and built on the site where, according to historical maps, a forester’s lodge once stood. The castle was to serve also as a resort for the emperors Francis Joseph and William II. With the outbreak of World War I, this intention never materialized.

  • Post-war period 1944-1959

    In 1944, during the Slovak National Uprising, the castle housed the 2 nd partisan group of M.R. Stefanik. On September 25, 1944, it was burned down. After the end of the World War II, it was confiscated and became the property of the National Forests. Subsequently, in the years 1945-1948, it underwent extensive reconstruction according to the project of the architect František Čapka and became a medical institute for the treatment of respiratory diseases – Spa SNP Kunerad.

  • Spa Rajecké Teplice 1959-2019

    In 1959, the castle became a part of the Spa Rajecké Teplice. On May 25, 1967, it was declared a national cultural monument together with the adjacent park. In the 1970s, it underwent further modifications to the internal layout. In 1996, was the castle, together with Spa privatized. Since that time, it has only been used occasionally and an extensive reconstruction has been planned. On March 11, 2010, while undergoing reconstruction works on the roof, it was destroyed in a devastating fire. Since then, it has remained closed and further deteriorated. On October 20, 2018, eight years after the last fire, the ruined castle burned down again.

  • Our story 2019 onwards

    After the last fire at the end of 2018, the world thought that this landmark was lost forever. For us, however, it never lost its uniqueness and beauty, so we decided to attempt the impossible and restore it to its former beauty. We bought the castle at the end of August 2019 and since then have dove into a renovation to revive it back to its original glory: a romantic place where people come both entertain and relax.